Monday, March 2, 2009

A hot date with the internets

Hey ya'll.

Well, after several thousands of miles of traveling, I am in Philly and ready for the next step- the step that I have been waiting for for ever so long! A good night's sleep, a short bus ride to JFK, then the almost eight hour flight to Morocco!!!!

Things are going well here despite all the madness. The weather has been foul and many many volunteers got stuck somewhere and came late or they are meeting us in JFK tomorrow. I made it to Philly just as the bad weather was coming in, only to lose my wallet somewhere in transition. It had a lot of money in it that would have been very useful, as well as my ID, etc. However, people were incredibly helpful and nice about it, and although it really sucked, I am feeling better now.

My aunt says that in a rite of passage, it is typical to lose one's possessions and experience some humiliation. As a result, they are freed and better prepared for the learning that will come their way. I hope that turns out to be true!

I had a request for more photos- well, I haven't been taking many lately, but I did take this fantastic photo of my nephew and the son of a good friend.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Safe & happy travels - looking forward to your next post FROM MOROCCO! love you bunches

Anonymous said...

Well I suppose things can only improve after losing your wallet. So sorry that happened.

Fly safely - we're looking forward to reading your next (much more jet-lagged) post.

Unknown said...

Well, I left my passport on the plane to Panama, if that makes you feel any better :)

MMSD said...

Whoa! How did you ever get back into the country?

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, that reminds me, Kerim lost a passport on a plane once (fortunately we'd already cleared immigration).

Unknown said...

oh, I managed to get it back. But it was still really nerveracking!